Re: [RC] Ride entry prices - Truman Prevatt

Diane Trefethen wrote:
Here is another view.

I think ride fees SHOULD include the Sat meal. Maybe $15 for extra tickets and $10/person for a FRIDAY night meal too. As Don pointed out, the meals are peanuts compared to the other expenses.
I've been on both sides of this "meal" issue. While it is wonderful for an RM to provide the meal it can also be a pain. The reason - how much food do you buy and prepare. It takes riders cooperating so you can get an idea of how many to prepare for. If you are planning for 50 and 100 show up - it's happened more often than one would like to think about - it is a major panic for the RM. If you plan for 100 and 50 show you pissed away a lot of money you could have used on other things. One ride I had a concessionaire on site and he provided the food and made all the profit on the food. That worked well, but it cost the riders more.

Not everyone has the luxury to do a nose count on Friday at 5 and have someone cater a meal at Friday at 7 or even Saturday. I set it as priorities as a rider. The first priorities a nice area to ride in, a measured and well marked trail and good vets and water on the trail. The next is level is a base camp with good parking and not that difficult to get to. The third is comes to meals and other amities. If I have the my first 2 priorities are taken care of I'll eat hot dogs rosated over an open fire sitting by my trailer listening to my horses munching on their hay.

My first ride was done out of a WW two horse bumper pull - pulled by an International Scout. We managed on food then - if the ride had it great if not no problem just as long as we knew. As long as I have a pretty well marked trail with plenty of water for the horses and good vets - I am happy.

Truman

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell