[RC] re: arthritis in stifle joint - Cindy Stafford

Rhonda - you asked about experiences with arthritis in the stifle...

My horse has bone spurs in her stifle, she has been restricted to light use only as a result.  I have the benefit of having xrays of the joint over a period of a couple of years, and have had the vet determine that the spurs advanced in just a couple years (am paraphrasing here of course, so I may be rewording things improperly).  But basically, first xray 1 bone spur, light work for 2 years, new xray - 2 bone spurs.

I tried the stifle injection.  ONe thing the vet didn't caution me about is risks besides just infection.  She had a reaction to the injection and developed a bad case of laminitis that wasn't diagnosed until almost too late as my vet was on vacation and I didn't recognize the seriousness of it.  i.e. I've read about the signs, but had never seen it so didn't recognize it...

Luckily the vet saw her before any permanent damage was done, but in hindsight, i wish I had known about this possible risk so I could be on the watch for it.

My advice, if your vet thinks the injection is worthwhile to try, be sure to ask about all the possible risks, and then do some research on your own (like you are here :)) before deciding.  Also, while the vet may think the horse will be sound, you may see significant deterioriation quickly as in my horse's case (my lay person's opinion only - don't mean to imply I know more than any vet :)).  She's always sound even now, unless I try to do too much, like even cantering her bad direction, or stalling her she will stiffen up.  Camping is also difficult because I can't tie her to a trailer for too long, as she gets too uncomfortable and stiff.

Just some things to think about.  I can understand falling in love with the horse too - that's why I still have my mare, despite all the restrictions.  She's a doll!
Good luck and best wishes in your horse shopping!

Cindy and Zoey - the delicate flower :)