[RC] How can I tell when horse is ready for an LD? - sherman

My daughter’s horse was an occasionally ridden trail horse until we decided to condition for endurance riding. We did our first 25 mile ride as a conditioning ride in about 4 mos.  We had boosted our frequency of riding to 7-10 miles twice a week instead of every week or 2, never boosted our speed up past 5mph average. Later we added a 15 mile ride weekly (sometimes 25), and the 15 yr old mare completed her first very tough 50 about 8 mos. later. My horse had the same regimen, didn’t complete his first 50 due to selenium deficiency. It took a few rides to figure that out.

Kathy

Kathy M wrote:

I don't think it should take 2 years to condition a horse for LDs.  Yes, of course your first year on your horse's back should be Long Slow Distance, keep your horse sane types of rides, but it sounds like you are beyond that. I was told by someone that you can pull a horse that is kept in pasture and be able to finish an LD without any conditioning.  Maybe they are just talking about Arabs, I dunno.