Re: [RC] need help - riding a trotting horse - desertrydr1

Hi Beth,

You are right on the mark there.  I started trail riding at 40, then started endurance riding (actually mostly LD's).  My first mare was kind of a nut, because she had to teach me how to ride.  She was very responsive, an alpha mare and in pain from poor saddle fit and unskilled hands, legs and seat.  I started endurance conditioning without being able to post the trot.  Her gaits aren't very regular because she was always trying to break from a trot into a gallop and run like the wind.  I still have her, she's 22.  She was retired from LDs, where I managed to overcondition her and let her "run her own race".  Wish I knew then what I know now.

My second horse was her Anglo-Arab daughter.  I started her under saddle myself, after the older mare taught me everything she could.  Then, when the filly could work at a walk and trot and some canter for an hour without getting tired, I started taking her for dressage lessons.  She had beautiful smooth gaits, and a wonderful trot. I took at least a few lessons on her every year.  I always joke about taking my 6 lessons for the year.  It seems like something always happened that I wouldn't get to take more than that, injuries to me or the horse, time off to have a baby (her not me).

The difference was that the younger mare was working to develop her full potential, while the older mare was never given that opportunity--to be schooled under the direction of a professional.  If you can't post a trot, you would definitly benefit you to have at least a few lessons.  You can learn so much from someone who is a good instructor.  Some dressage instructors are very good.  I'm blessed to have mine--the same one over about 8 or 9 years.  She is certified and is teaching me and the horse how to most effectively communicate, not how to look pretty crammed into a "frame".

I would consider taking lessons on the older mare, but she hates arena work so much, I kinda figure she deserves to have fun if she's gonna be ridden.  I have two babies coming up, a Shagya filly coming 3, and then a 2-yr old gelding out of my younger mare and a Shagya stallion.  As soon as the babies can handle the work under saddle, I'll start each of them in lessons.  Probably my standard 6 lessons a year, but we learn a lot, and the communication is better.

jeri