Re: [RC] need help - riding a trotting horse - Beth Walker

Well, I'll start off, though there are others on this list with more experience here. ? ?However, my history ... I started Western, switched to English w/ classical dressage methods, then went Endurance. ?I currently am taking dressage lessons and my horse is learning the concept of "contact". ?So ... to answer some of the questions in here:

No - I don't think having or not having contact is a safety issue. ?Western horses are trained to go on a loose rein all the time. ?They stop just fine, and respond to seat and leg when properly trained and ridden. ?Now, that said - I'm not a proponent of bitless, but then I think it depends on the horse. ?If your horse is controllable in a bitless bridle, that's fine. ?However, I am going to guess that he has only been ridden in the arena / round pen so far. ?He might be a bit different out on the trail.

I DO think you should learn to post the trot. ?You don't say how old your horse is, but IMO, a young horse needs to develop their back muscles before they can comfortably accept a sitting trot. ?(This statement assumes that your posting is controlled so that there is less concussion on the horse's back than with a sitting trot.) ?While there are pros and cons to two-point position, if you have trouble posting, and can two-point without slapping down on the saddle, that is better than trying to post and bumping the horse. ?I rode my old boy in two-point most of the time at the trot, because his trot was so big that I could not properly post to it -- way too much loft for my short legs. ?I have no trouble posting with my current horse, who has much less loft to his trot. ?It is not always the rider....

You can go two ways -- you could check into Western trainers in the area or you could check into Dressage trainers (ones who are not obsessed with getting a "headset"). ? Also -- I would suggest taking lessons in posting with a lesson horse to start with, rather than with your young one. ?A lesson horse (hopefully) has fairly smooth gaits, and are older and much more used to unbalanced riders. ?If you want to keep your horse bitless, the Western trainer would possibly have less problem with that, and won't have any issues with keeping your legs off the horse -- that is much more in the western tradition. ? Just remember :: in ANY discipline, there are good instructors and bad instructors. ?Before taking a lesson on YOUR horse, check out their other students and THEIR horses. ?Do they go around in a relaxed manner, or are they tight and upset -- or worse, is the horses' neck upside down? ?etc.

You say your horses trainer has worked to get him to go in a relaxed and easy manner. ?Sounds good. ?Mostly, what you want from your horse is to work relaxed, and learn to use his topline. ?You don't want to try and teach him any kind of "headset" -- emphasis right now should be on "long and low", so that he learns to reach out and down with the neck so that he can use his back muscles. ?The "Long and Low" also gives him some structural support while his is building those muscles. ? That foundation should be present in any discipline: ?Hunter/Jumper (hunter more than jumper), Dressage, Western. ?

Now -- somewhere along the line, most trainers are going to want to put him in a bit. ?That is kind of your decision as to where you want to go with your horse. ? Talk to the trainer that started your horse, and ask for advice, there, too. ?

Sorry this is so long ... hope it helps.