RE: [RC] need help - riding a trotting horse - Burnett, Elly

Title: RE: [RC] need help - riding a trotting horse

Mel-

Everyone else's advice is really good so far.  I'm just going to add that I'd suggest to your trainer he/she starts working your horse in a bit now before you get your horse home.  I got my four year old back from the trainer in February after she'd been exclusively riding him in a bosal.  That was all fine, but like others have mentioned, I didn't feel comfortable only relying on bitless for all situations.  My horse and I ended up having HUGE issues with the bit, that eventually lead to me in the ER and him for sale.  I have no training experience, and so was not versed on how to properly get my youngster to accept and work with the bit (read: head-tossing, evasion, bolting).  So, I learned my lesson, and will now DEMAND all youngsters sent to trainers spend a fair amount of time learning to deal with the bit.  I do appreciate being able to ride bitless, but it's only going to make your horse more well-rounded if he can deal with being both bitted and bitless, and better a professional introduce the bit concept to a youngster than yourself!

Good luck!

Elly