Re: [RC] need help - riding a trotting horse - Beverley H. Kane, MD

As a person who probably learned to post more recently (6 yrs ago), and who
started endurance later than most others, on this list, I agree w/ previous
"posters" to RC:

1. POSTING--Learn to post correctly with a riding instructor who can watch
you. I personally like Centered Riding? techniques, but any good instructor
will get you centered. As discussed previously on RC, 2-pointing (aka
half-seat) for 50 miles, depending on your weight and balance, can cause
soreness under the stirrup bars.
   I have spent -many- Rides as a vet scribe listening to the vets telling
people to change diagonals on their horses, especially ones w/ iffy backs.
  Previous RC threads have also mentioned the benefits of strategically
posting on the uphill side of trails and on the outside of curves.
  My tricks in learning to post were:
     a) Find a song to post to. Mine was "Out of Control" from the Eagles
Desperado album. Not a good title, but perfect rhythm, when sung, for most
of the lesson horses I was riding at the time, and my leased horse.
    b) Practice at home posting on the floor keeping back straight (don't
stick your ass out) to music
  c) Practice on a horse with a smooth, steady trot

2. BITLESS--I have been riding bitless for 4 1/2 years, first w/ my leased
Arabian, now my new Arabian who went well in it from Day (minute!) One. I
don't think I would start a Ride bitless, but we'll have to see. The people
who sold him to me do 100s in s-hacks, and in their opinion, this horse,
whom they rode in a s-hack, should do well on rides in the same, he is so
light and responsive. But I will not hesitate to bit him if that's the kind
of communication we need.
  One issue w/ bitless is the argument that you can't -collect- a horse
bitless. Nonsense. Collection doesn't come from yanking on a bit; it comes
from bringing up the hind end and driving from your core/solar plexus/3rd
chakra. Even with my limited experience, I can ride collected at walk, trot,
and canter w/ a bitless bridle.

With my new/first horse, I am getting so much, often conflicting,
advice--about training schedules, techniques, dominance issues, goals, food,
tack, etc. I have made my peace with by vowing to let my horse and my Inner
Voice have the last word.

Please "post" your progress for those of us still learning.

Beverley