Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] [Endurance Riding: News] FEI: Proposed Rule Changes for Endurance - Maryanne Gabbani

To beat a dead horse (to use a probably totally appropriate but rather gross metaphor), the FEI did it because the guys bankrolling them (the UAE) wanted to have their SUV's with them when they ride. It's that simple. I was utterly shocked to find that they were allowed in our first endurance race in May 2000.  They've put them to very good use too. Back in 2000 in Egypt, they used them for the riders to sit in while the horses' reins came in through the window....that was courtesy of our local observers who the UAE/FEI didn't want observing the race but who showed up anyway. They've cleaned up their act so that now they just have people following them around tearing up the desert surface, and tossing water bottles out the windows. Much better.

The piper plays for he who pays.

Maryanne