Re: [RC] [RC] ridecamp - a great inspiration - Carla Richardson

Hey Cindy,

Never fear, even people who have ridden all their lives and on many
different horses (like me!) still have fears when getting on a new
horse.  Or even going on an endurance ride or competitive trail ride
with a large group of horses -- even a bombproof horse will be
susceptible to acting up a bit in the right conditions.

After riding my horse Top Gun for the past 7 1/2 years, I had to
retire him from competition, he developed arthritis so he's now a
beautiful pasture potato.  I started riding my new gelding, Khid, in
August.  We now have 100 miles of competitive trail, 50 miles of LD,
and 100 miles of endurance - hurray!  He's turned out really well, but
I bought him sight unseen and of course without riding him.  Took a
leap of faith because I had seen his full sister at a ride and liked
her.  Saw a video of Khid, and liked that, and just believed what they
told me.  Of course, it could have turned out really badly!  But I was
lucky, Khid is a wonderful horse.

Best thing you can do is to take your time finding a new horse.  Be
careful, you don't want to get a horse that does not have a good mind,
and you also want a sound body so you can enjoy many years and miles
with your new horse.  Is there anyone in your area that you know who
could help you in your quest for a new horse?  It helps to have a
honest second pair of eyes, but you do need to find someone who knows
what they're doing and you can trust.

Good luck, and keep riding!
Carla Richardson
Colorado