[RC] ridecamp - a great inspiration - Cindy Stafford

Lately I've been trying to find my next endurance horse, as my horse developed health issues early in her career that prevent her from doing endurance.  She's pretty much been the only horse i've ridden since I learned to ride a few years back, and as I try out new horses, I've got a renewed appreciation for my 'steady eddie - bombproof' mare :).
I tend to be a very cautious rider, and it takes me a lonnnggg time to get used to a new horse.  So each little spook on these strange horses, I flashback to being a newbie rider and some nerve racking experiences on a bucking and bolting horse (the aforementioned mare, before being bombproof haha).  Very minor incidents to most of you veteran riders out there, but to me heart stopping events! LOL

So where am I going with this post?  I just wanted to throw a big thank you out there to those of you responsible for this site and all of you who share your stories.  As I read your experiences, it makes me appreciate that my mountains are really molehills, literally.  As I read some of your stories and imagine myself in similar circumstances, and think - ohmigod, I would certainly die! - then I let it sink in and realize that if you can get past that (fill in the blank), then my little hurdle is nothing and I need to get a grip and stop dreaming up excuses :).

Some examples I've been pondering on lately:
My world - tree lined trails, great for stopping a bolting horse.  Cantering an open meadow on a new horse? - forget it!
Their world - Miles and miles of open grassland.  What are trees?

My world - Can't ride on the farm roads by the barn where I board, there's a chance of running into the neighbor's loose dog!
Their world - saw a mountain lion (or bear) last trail ride

My world - go slow on that narrow spot by the creek, it's almost a 15ft drop!
Their world - step off the trail, you're tumbling down a 100 ft cliff

Anyway, you've made me realize how sheltered I am in my little flat midwestern world where the occasional deer is the scariest thing on the trail.  Keep posting your ride stories, even if you think they're mundane.  It's inspiring and confidence building for us chickens out there!

Happy riding!
Cindy