Re: [Norton AntiSpam] RE: [RC] Caution around trailheads - Truman Prevatt

The original problem happened because the hiker did not recognize the threat. There is no more powerful weapon that the recognition of a potential threat and keeping space between you and the threat. Once your space is compromised you are basically screwed independent on the weapon you might or might not have. Most attackers will scope out their potential victims and prey on those that least expect it.

Knowing where you are, being aware of your surrounding's and having an escape route to keep you distance between you and a potential advisory will buy you a heck of a lot more than a knife, pepper spray or even a hand gun. In reality once you get to the point that you have to use a weapon the advisory is way too close to you and you could already have lost the battle. Because you don't know - the advisory may also have a knife, pepper spray or a hand gun.

Truman

Dawn Simas wrote:
Just another opportunity for me to encourage everyone to carry a knife (very handy) and pepper spray. I hate to be morbid, but I don't want to be thinking while being attacked, "so this is how I end my life, dang wish I'd remembered that weapon"... At least give me a fighting chance.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the animals but not that many people listen. That's the real problem."
- Winnie the Pooh

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil