Re: [RC] Fw: Question re BLM adoptions - jorudo

This is a follow-up to a response I just posted to Oddfarm's critique of the BLM mustang adoption program. I wrote to a contact I have in the BLM program, she forwarded it to her contact, here is the response:

Susie_Stokke@xxxxxxx wrote:

Your email was forwarded to me by Glenna Eckel in our Winnemucca, Nevada
field office.

BLM does not let anyone who has adopted in the past to have 1 or more
mustangs for free. Under the regulations, an adopter may not have more
than 4 untitled mustangs unless prior approval has been obtained which
verifies the adopter has the facilities necessary to safely and humanely
care for more than 4 untitled animals at any one time.

You may be referring to a partnership program with the Mustang Heritage
Foundation. BLM is piloting a trainer incentive adoption program with the
MHF. Under this program, trainers (who apply and meet BLM's rigorous
standards), may train 1 or more mustangs each year. Trainers may then
adopt the animal they have trained to someone who can provide the animal
with a good home. Adopters adopting a trained animal from an incentive
trainer must also meet BLM's rigourous standards. These adopters must also
pay BLM the standard adoption fee ($125).

I hope this information is helpful.

----- Forwarded by Susie Stokke/NVSO/NV/BLM/DOI on 04/29/2008 04:22 PM
-----