Re: [RC] [RC] Kentucky Derby - Sherri Lyngar

I have to agree with Sandy. Before condemning the team that ran with Eight Belles I think that we should really consider what we are asking of any horse. It is hard to fathom that a horse that they have invested literally hundreds of thousands of dollars in they would race if they felt she were not prepared. Racing is just like endurance. We take top horses and build them up physically to participate in grueling sport. Are there abuses in the race industry? Absolutely. But you see it in any sport that involves horses. The fact of the matter is that there are good trainers and owners and bad ones. Just as there are good trainers and owners in endurance. How many times out on the trail have you seen a horse that wasn't up to snuff.

I think that there are legitimate things that can be looked at as far as age for horses, confirmation, amount of races run, but I feel really awful for the owner, trainer and jockey of Eight Belles. There is nothing worse than seeing a horse that you have put your heart and soul into have to be put down.