[RC] Response from Purina - Roger Rittenhouse

The below email was in response to my request for additional information.

I have been told by 3rd party and other sources the problem came from a supplement or "corn' products from China. This HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN.
Since the issue is mold, one has to suspect the problem of contaminated products MAY be nation wide.
I have 3 bags of the listed products all from the Nashville plant. I however will not use it. Purina will not refund my cost since it is not from the below plants.

I have called other feed dealers and manufacturers to ask IF any of the additives in their grains are from China. Triple Crown, Producers Feed and Southern States reported NO. I had to travel 70 miles to a feed dealer to obtain feed from another mfgr.

I will not use the Purina feeds at this time.

Appears the USDA fails to test the assorted food stuff products coming from China. We may have more reports of poisoned feeds- again.
USDA is more concerned about the tracking of our horses (NAIS).

FROM PURINA

Thank you for your concern regarding the voluntary retrieval of Purina products due to contamination. The products affected were manufactured between November 3, 2007 and February 8 2008 at our Statesville, North Carolina (STA) plant, between January 1, 2008 and February 8, 2008 at our Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (HAR) plant, and between January 1, 2008 and March 10, 2008 at our Guilderland, New York (GDL) plant. Products purchased between these dates with one of these plant codes should be returned to your dealer for exchange. The lot numbers are printed on the sewing strip of each bag. Lot numbers are formatted as follows: (Example: 8FEB22GD1) - 8=Year/FEB=Month/22=Day of month/GD1=plant code. Only lot numbers between these dates, bearing one of these plant codes, are involved.

You can go to our website, http://www.purinamills.com and click on Eastern U.S. Feed Product Retrieval for further information on this voluntary retrieval.

-- Roger Rittenhouse