From: Trailrite@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:52:09 -0400
Subject: Re: [RC] electrolytes, hay and pre-ride feeding
To: brio_gal@xxxxxxxxxxx

A sudden feed change is a sudden feed change no matter if it's going to a ride or not.  I know of a horse, that was taken off of green grass pasture and taken to a ride with regular hay.  The horse colic during the ride and had twisted a gut and died.  This horse had around 4000 miles and never in his life time colic of anything.  It was a hard lesson for the owner to learn about green grass to hay under competition.   So, yes, I would at least offer them hay (that your are taking to use on the ride) a few days before the trailering date of the ride just to be safe.  I would just throw some out in the pasture for them to munch on for about 3-4 days before the ride.

Tammy Robinson (16,000 AERC miles)
Trail-Rite Products
18171 Lost Creek Road
Saugus, CA 91390