FW: [RC] mountain lion attack - traps - mary orosz

I wish it was like that in Idaho.  I spoke to a neighbor about it and was going to report him when I saw the traps in his garage but was told it was allowed here in Idaho.  Traps creep me out because it is not a quick end.  When I said we were fortunate, I did not mean we were fortunate to have him trapping, but that it was good not to have to worry so much about cougars.  I guess the reason he does it is because he had some really serious problems in the past before we moved here.  When we had first moved here in 98, I saw one close behind our house and it scared me because of the dogs (neighbors had lost their dogs).  I guess we had lots of cougars in the past before this guy started trapping.  Also, I make sure that I (and my dogs) don’t go anywhere near his property for fear of getting caught in one of his traps. I would  rather have a controlled hunt if everything started going crazy and they started multiplying, just like in the east when they get too many deer, elk etc.  In north Idaho, you can not tell the old timers that they can’t do something, they just ignore you.  The area around his property is all privately owned undeveloped mountains and forest land for miles and miles and miles. Only hikers and horseback riders are allowed there.  No hunting is allowed on any of the private land, so I imagine it was the perfect place for them and other predators to live and grow in numbers as there are lots of deer.   I would like to see them controlled so that our animals and we are safe,  but not have them eliminated – that would just cause other problems.    I agree that the real problem stems from man making laws without actually looking far enough ahead to see the long term effects.

-         mary