Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] tying up - Karen Sullivan

An almost surefire recipie for a tie up is to decrease the space a horse is used to.....but increase or not even cut grain.....that is the typical scenario of the "Monday morning syndrome"  or azoturia that used to be seen with working draft horses that hauled wagons all week; then stalled over a weekend but the grain not cut back.  Monday morning they would tie up......

Other factors are insufficient warm up before moving out......selenium deficiencies, electrolyte deficiences, not enough warm up before vigorous exercise, mare in heat, cold water on haunch muscles.....

I had a mare tie up at an endurance ride.....my  best guess as to why is that I hauled to the ridecamp on Friday morning....but missed my Friday afternoon hour warmup because the vet made me reset a shoe and I had to wait and find a shoer..then it was too late...big mistake...even though I warmed up the morning of the ride, we hit a huge hill immediately.  The tie up was not really clear, not the typical symptoms....and she passed the trot by..but at the first vet check the pulse did not come down......a vet misdiagnosis (he claimed the horse was just "hot") and insisted I hose her down, against my better judgement......once cold water hit her hind end the cramping was immediate.......another vet recognized problem and drew blood...and we got her back to camp and started IV treatment ASAP...two bags......then at their advice I could take her home and try to find local vet to keep IV going.or haul her an hour to Davis....I took her to Davis for treatment.  Two days monitoring, more Iv;s......the blood work showed significant tie up.....but since we had treated EARLY and in the field.....the Davis vet felt no permanent muscle damage.....sent me home with Vit. E selenium to supplement.....this mare never tied up again and did a few 50 mile endurance rides.....

After that i was REALLY careful with turnout, slow warmups before rides, good warmup day before endurance ride, bump up Vit. E selenium the week before a ride, blood work to check for Se levels, etc.

That is the quick and easy explanation.......
Karen