Re: [RC] [RC] Was Black bears on the trail- California, now invasiveexotic plants - Truman Prevatt

Nature will balance forces to reach a state of equilibrium, but that state of equilibrium is very sensitive to any change in forces and if there is a change a rebalancing will take place to reach a new equilibrium. Most system be they physical, economic, biological, meteorological or social are quite complex. What we know is this complexity leads to very subtle interactions between the components of the system whose behavior is very sensitive to even very small changes in the conditions - which has been termed the "butterfly effect." It is stated as "a butterfly flapping its wings in Brazil causing a very small change in local barometric pressure can cause a tornado to happen in Kansas."

Examples of these types of systems and the "butterfly effect" abound. Mathematically the behavior of such systems is studied in the field known as Chaos Theory. It seems to me that what species will thrive or not thrive in a given location falls smack into these considerations. If a species is introduced and the conditions are not favorable - it will not grow. A good example is the grass fescue. It is the mainstay pasture grass in much of the Eastern and midwestern US. It was introduced by the British and is considered by many non-native or exotic. It grows well in the climates of the Eastern and midwestern US. However if you plant it in Florida - it will die out right after it comes up.

The Asian snake fish is another good example. Some found their way into the Potomac river near Washington some time back. The are very aggressive and grow quite large. However, they can only stand water temps above a certain temp. That limits them to the lower stretches of the river right around downtown Washington, DC. They must have warm fresh water - they can only live in a five mile stretch of the rider since below Washington it turns brackish as it works its way the the Cheapskate Bay. While it is exotic it can only survive in a very specific small area of the river with very specific conditions. It does not impact the other 500 miles of the river. Is it invasive and exotic - yes but only in a small area.

When the climate changes - even minor changes - it can change which species will thrive - independent of our desire for that to happen. Man has been mucking with nature for a long time. He has decided what to plant and what not to plant. He has introduced plants and grasses that benefit him - fescue being an example. Organisms adapt over time to survive and left to their devices the fittest for the conditions of the time will survive. Keeping "foreign" organisms out is extremely difficult. Wiping them out if the conditions are favorable for their growth can difficult and very expensive - and potentially a losing battle.

Whatever the final outcome of how we deal with exotics - we really need to take a fresh look at it. For example I cannot believe that pouring tons of herbicide on the ground is in the long term best interest of our ground water table, our streams, etc., and the animals that depend on these resources. As we see climate changes on a global basis - which we are seeing and will be for quite a while it will have massive impacts on what plants grow where and what diseases we find we didn't have before.

There will be an equilibrium but one thing I think will be certain it will be on Mother Nature's terms - not ours.

Truman

--

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell