[RC] Black bears on the trail- California - sherman

I’ve had 4 or 5 bear encounters on the Tevis trails and surrounding trails. The bears ran off or stayed away in all but 1 case, which was at night, below Robie Pt. I could smell a barbecue at one of the houses above (probably the Halls) and the 2 bears wouldn’t leave the trail. However, our hoses had stopped and would not advance either, so that may be why the bears didn’t leave. Every other incident was in daylight, my horse kept advancing and the bears left. One time the bear was just about 50’ off the trail, just went over to a tree and sort of hid behind it to watch us pass. I’m fortunate that none of my horses seem very fearful of the bears, at least in daylight.

There are so many hikers on the trails though, that I do worry about them and the bears. I doubt most of the hikers would have a clue of what to do if they encountered a bear. It is an accident waiting to happen. So many people try to get closer to wildlife, show their little kids, or as in one previous case, teenage boys were throwing rocks at the bear on the trail instead of leaving it alone.

Kathy