[RC] Melaka Grand Invitational - the State Affair - Steph Teeter

I'm in the Kuala Lumpur airport now, with 3 hours before check-in and another 3 hours before departure. I fly through Amsterdam, then have a 24 hour layover in Madrid, then back to Amsterdam for a flight to Portland, then to Boise and back to Oreana!! (in order to combine the Andalucia and Malayia trips and have a reasonably priced ticket I had to get a little creative - and the result is a very long and bizarre shedule of connections!)

So - what about this ride? - the Grand Melaka Invitational Endurance Ride 2008 !

Once again the sport of Endurance Riding (they call it a 'Ride' here, not a 'Race' :) provided opportunity for more than just an equestrian event... it was another National Occasion - a gathering of Royalty and government officials - of riders, grooms, policemen (and women), businessmen (and women), musicians, dancers, professionals - people from the entire spectrum of social and economic status. It was an occasion for the State of Melaka to host a prominent event, and also to honor Malasia's King and Queen. It's a very different affair - hard to imagine for those of us used to camping in a field and sleeping in a tent! A very different affair - but - when the hoof hits the trail - it's exactly the same. Everthing depends on the horse and the rider and all of the training and preparation that goes on during the years. And a little bit of luck!

This event was hosted by the State (Sultanate) of Melaka:

Organizing Committee
Organizer - State Government of Melaka
Patron - his Excellency the Governor of Melaka (Tun Datuk Seri Utama Mohd Khalil bin Yaakob)
Chairman of Organizing Committee- The Rt. Hon. Datuk Seri Mohd. Ali bin Rustam
Chairman of Working Committee - The Hon. Datuk Wira Ismael Salleh
Event Director - Raidee Bin Hj. Baharum
Technical Director - Hamdan Bin Mohd
Trail Coordinator - Azman Bin Mohd

(I'm going to add the comments of th Chief Minister of Melaka, and the State Secretary of Melaka in a separate message - it's interesting/educational to see how this sport appears to others, and how they describe it, and how they see it all working into the National theme.)

So the OC was mostly Melaka state officials, but the real driving force of the event was the Event Director - Hamdan. I've known Hamdan for a few years - he's a regular at Malasian endurance events, and he came with Raja (prince :) Adib to the Presidents Cup for Junior Riders in Abu Dhabi this year, so we got a chance to know him even better. A rider and strong supporter of the sport,and crazy enough to take on the enormous task of organizing a ride - much less a first time ride! And not only did he have to put together the 'ride' part of the event (which alone is a daunting task, especially an FEI ride), but he also had to coordinate with the state officials and production managers and sports stadium personnel and hotels and stable managers and on and on and on...

It was an impressive event - congratulations to all, and especially Hamdan Bin Mohd!

So yes it was a frills ride :) The State Dinner at the Hotel Majestic was something I will remember for a long time! Bev Gray (an invited rider) and Mark Dial (FEI Foreign Ground Jury official) and Dr. Hosain Abbara (FEI Foreign Veterinary Delgate - an Egptian-Syrian citizen living in Qatar) and I rode in the same transport from the Everly Resort hotel where everbody is staying, and when we arrived at the Majestic we were escorted into the reception hall and a lovely important looking woman came up - 'are you Steph Teeter? ' - 'ummm, yes' - please all of you follow me. ok! She took us into a special room with several important looking chairs and we were asked to sit (but not in the gold chair or the blue chair). We kept looking at each other wondering what was up, and the hostess said please wait here, the Governor and Ministers will be here in a moment. Now we were really wondering, and wondering if they perhaps had us mixed up with somebody else! Mark actually whispered to the hostess ' are you sure this is for us? and she assured him that it was! The three men joined us (the Governer, the Melaka Minister of State, and the Melaka Minister of Tourism) and we chatted for a bit - questions about ourselves and involvement in Endurance, about the sport, about horses. It was very comfortable. And then we left together, walking the red carpet, lots of cameras and TV, and then we were seated at the table with them! A huge centerpiece of bronze horses and flowers, and it was just amazing! I was seated next to Hosain, (who I really came to like and appreciate - one of those 'instant friends' ) and we caught each other's eyes after the 'seating ceremony' and grinned 'only in Endurance!' - 'yes, only in Endurance'. What is it about this sport that so totally and passionately captures us, and holds us, and once we start we simply can't quit! The romance and heart and athletic beauty of the horse... We think that we own these animals... but really they own us!

And so it went - for Flag Off (Opening Ceremony), the awards lunch and reception, all a very Stately and Royal Affair!

We were treated to a city tour the morning before the night of the ride - a cruise along the Melaka River, which runs through the heart of the city, and is being modeled after San Antonio's beautiful river walk. It's not finished yet, but there are a dozen tour boats (shipped from San Antonio!) and sidewalks being constructed, and restaurants, and highlights in the historic district. It's going to be very nice. Melaka is the oldest city in Malaysia - an established trading port controlling the waters between the China Sea and the Indian Ocean. It was captured and held by the Portuguese for centuries, then the Dutch gained control, then the British... there is some interesting architecture, although all of the old original buildings (pre 14th century) and temples were destroyed when the Portuguese took over. There is very little surviving history - building or document - of that period. The Portuguese influence was the most profound on the population, with much inter-marriage, and cross culture - many of the Malay people here still have Portuguese last names, and there is a distinctive 'flavor' to the people - evident in their speech and their food and their look.

I really enjoyed this city, this part of Malaysia - though as usual there was not enough time to be a proper tourist. But at the prize giving ceremony it was announced that this would become an annual affair - so maybe next year there will be a little more time to play!

and then the story of - the Ride -

Steph