[RC] Bekki Crippen - rides2far

Thanks so much to everyone on Ridecamp who came through for Bekki. Her
surgery is this Friday. The following is from her mother:

Hi Angie,

Thank you more than I can say for all you are doing to help get Bekki
through this.  I think she has probably received close to 150 e-mails
from endurance riders all over the world.  So many of them have had a
similar experience.  She reads and re-reads them and most sent pics of
their horses too.  What a tremendous gift this has been and such a boost
to her spirits (if she needed any!)  Today she met with Ann Law, the
dancer, who had a double mastectomy and who has a gorgeous tattoo.  Ann
helped her to understand what all is involved with the surgery,
aftercare, healing time, etc.  Her main message was:  "Stay active, keep
moving; don't let scar tissue form; don't lose your range of motion,
etc."  So we are going to have to get her back up on that horse just as
soon as it is safe to do so!

The "Longstreet Color Coordinated Challenge" has been quite an
inspiration too.  She tells everyone she meets about it and to hear her
tell it, this is the most important event of the year.

Also, thank you for agreeing to draw her tattoo.  How cool is this????

snip<

The tatoo thing caught me off guard. I didn't know that women who opt for
no reconstruction consider tatoos. I'm not a fan of tatoos at all so when
Bekki told me suddenly "I'm getting a tatoo" I wrinkled my nose and said
I don't like tatoos, not realizing she meant *there*. Turned out she'd
been building up to ask me if I would draw a horse smelling a rose (Bekki
raises lots of great rose bushes). I felt bad that I"d discouraged her
when he mom told me how much it meant to her so quickly backtracked. My
older daughter, the tatoo fan, thinks it's quite funny that the most
anti-tatoo person around is now in the design business. :-P  I told Bill,
"I'm scared to do it. I hate it when I design a T-shirt I'm not happy
with and have to see people wearing them later.  Bill's response was just
"Hopefully she won't show it to anybody". >g< So, there's a new topic for
anyone who wants to send her a note. Tatoo experiences. ;-)

Bekki called me Saturday and I could tell she was smiling when she said,
"I got lots of e-mails, I got a free entry in a ride in Oklahoma!"  I
said, "That's great, did you write any of them back?" ...silence...then,
"Not yet". I think writing is a bit of a stuggle, but you can bet that if
you sent one, she appreciated it and enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone.

Angie