[RC] Pit Bull Attack - sherman

For lots more info, go to www.auburnjournal.com and search for pit bull attack horse. The following link may work for you also.

http://auburnjournal.com/pub/auburn/browse.html?content_class=1&town_id=6&search_filter=attack+on+horse&sub_type=

Personally, I don’t like the idea of alternate use days on these trails. IMO, it’s too restrictive and you’ll have both equine and bike riders bitter about not being able to ride there when they have a day off, or it’s finally a sunny day after 3 weeks of rain.  Education and courtesy is more important than restrictions. And enforcement of the current laws and regulations regarding the dogs would be helpful. I’ve heard rangers tell people that it’s okay to let your dog loose after you get down the trails a couple miles!

Loose dogs, even friendly dogs, are dangerous unless they are next to their owner. I’ve had dogs barreling down a hillside of brush scaring the holy $@#! out of my horse. A friend’s sister ended up with a broken back when loose dogs stormed out of a hillside of brush while she was riding at Folsom. I don’t know if they were friendly or not, it didn’t really matter at that point.  Some will say the horses should be better trained because we have to deal with wildlife, however, it is rare that wild animals will jump under the legs of a horse.

I ride at Driver’s Flat often, I don’t usually go on the weekends when the bikers will be out in force, but sometimes I do. I’ve only had one problem, when the biker was looking at the ground and didn’t see us in front of him, so I just started yelling VERY LOUDLY “riders ahead” which he heard and was able to brake in time and apologized profusely. When I go around blind turns, I proceed with caution. Honestly, the most riders that I’ve encountered on a busy weekend on the 10 mile loop was maybe 8, most in groups of 2, and all were very aware of the unpredictability of horses, all stopped to let us pass, and were friendly and courteous.

Kathy