RE: [RC] Spanish Mustangs/freedoms - Terry Banister

Yes. Since quality Horse property is going the way of the Drive-In Theatres, there is an economic reason to waste good land on equestrian needs. So yes, reclassifying the horse as a food animal would be an option that would justify raising large quantities of horses. Let's take a vote ~

smaller "backyard" breeders who have basically kept the traditional "using" Arabian alive.
 The operative word in the above statement is "smaller"!  And, no one said anything about being regulated on what/how breeders could breed, but the concern is  HOW MANY per year, per property size. Our neighborhood already has homeowner regulations on quantity of horses allowed to be stalled per acreage. Many of us already live with regulations.
 If there is no enconomic profit in breeding quality horses without overbreeding quantity, then large "industry" breeders would have to find another way to make a paycheck. Who cares if the professional racing industry goes down the tubes? There are plenty of other things people can place bets on besides living beings. If the Thoroughbred and Quarterhorse racing "industry" no longer existed,  we would not need this discussion. But because there is financial gain to be made from these living beings, it won't go away anytime soon. I have boycotted horse racing since I left the racetrack 30 years ago.