Re: [RC] Spanish Mustangs/freedoms - Beth Walker

Sorry -- Terminology ... I tend to think of a "backyard breeder" as someone who has no real concept of what they are trying to achieve with their breeding "program". They don't test for inherited diseases, and they don't evaluate their breeding herd or their progeny with regard to that vision -- whether that is by conformation, behavior, or performance records of the horses in the breeding herd, or the accomplishments of their progeny. To me, a BYB is a haphazard operation - there is no "program".

A small breeding operation is not, to me, the same thing. It isn't the *size* of the operation, it is the *approach*. I fully agree that - given the fads that the various horse industries go through - if what wins at the big Arab shows became a 'required type' for 'examiners' to license, we would get pretty much what you described. Kind of like the Quarter Horse industry, with those big bodies on little, tiny feet....