From: raneller@xxxxxxx
To: wpwpw@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] Spanish Mustangs
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:55:14 -0700

I am glad you posted on this list. The animals on the site appear to be nice horses that would excel at endurance given the right home. I hope they get that chance. My only beef is to continue to breed more horses than you can provide for. Depending on someone else's land to support the herd, yet continuing to propagate just seems irresponsible.

I bred, showed, trained, and sold Akita pups for 20 years. I stopped when I no longer could expect the litters to be spoken for before being conceived. I could not even have imagined breeding a litter of pups with even the remote possibility that any of them would end up at a shelter.

I am sure your friend does care for his horses. They sure look well-fed, etc in the pictures. Maybe this is a wake up call for him, and one of his strategies will be to call the vet for some gelding appointments!

Don't get your panties in a wad here about the responses you have received. Most of us would hook up our trailers and drive to wherever these animals were to help if asked. We just want folks to breed what the market will bear, no more.

I once tried to buy a nice young Arab stallion from a "preservation breeder" who simply had too many horses. I wanted to geld him and turn him into an endurance horse that would enhance the reputation of her foundation sire, his dad. She wanted way more than what he was worth as a gelding, so kept him standing in mud up to his knees, with no shelter in a small corral.

Years later, I came across the horse in someone's backyard. It made me cringe. The horse had gone through an auction, and obviously had a tough life. I brought him home, re-habbed him, and sold him to a young girl who still loves him. He was headed to another round at an auction.

Guess I just read Black Beauty too many times..!

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx