RE: [RC] state fair express unofficial ride results - heidi

Hi/low footed horses will not land even and don't have a symmetrical
clip-clop, but that doesn't mean they're going to go lame.

I agree--but hi/low is an anomaly and should be noted, even if one is not
considering pulling the horse.  Hi-low horses that have not been corrected
still put abnormal and asymmetrical stress on tendons and ligaments, and should
be closely watched.  In my experience, with good shoeing and management, they
do improve over time, but there should always be discussion going on about
their progress in the meantime.

This discussion makes me think that lameness exams need to be standardized
on so that some horses who don't have a perfect way of going are not
penalized unless they are truly lame.

I wish it were that simple.  I once had quite a discussion with Kerry Ridgway,
of all people, who was trying to tell the rest of us on the vetting staff at a
major ride that a gaited Arab was "symmetrically Grade II lame in both front
feet" at check-in.  I sat down with him in a quiet moment and asked why he did
not penalize the gaited horses there in the same fashion--apparently at that
point, he was unaware that Arabs could be gaited as well.  And Kerry is a very
knowledgeable vet with a good eye!  Bottom line--it is hard to standardize
things that you can't measure with a ruler or a scale or some other objective
form of measurement.

Heidi