Re: [RC] German Martingales - Beth Walker

That's the point. ?I'm not working with a young horse. ?I'm dealing with a mature horse that ?came with a high head carriage and a head-tossing issue. ??

I agree that, for young horses, the best route is to go slow and teach them the basics. ?I did that with my old horse, as I raised him from birth, and never used a martingale. ?Never had to. ?I bought my current horse as a fully mature 10 year old, and most horses have some baggage at that age. ?Head-tossing (and a race-brain) is his.

I did one 25 miler with him tossing his head any time I even *started* to try and rate him. ?Not fun. ?I've been schooling him for a year now on the issue. ?In the ring, and on trail rides alone, I don't use the martingale,?and he is doing much better. ? However, that is in low-stress situations. ?He is nowhere near confirmed in this "new" way of going. ?In any high-stress situation (like Ride Day), he reverts to his old pattern. ?I can either not ride in groups and give up endurance for the next 5 years, or use a martingale in known high-stress situations. ??