[RC] Older Orthoflex saddle - melanie . o

Attn: all Orthoflex users, I need help.

A friend gave me her old (original Len Brown) Orthoflex to try out.  It weighs a ton, but is still a nice saddle that so far fits 3 of my 4 horses.  However, before I commit to buy this saddle I must change the girth!  It has a Y-shaped piece of leather ending in a 3 inch billet which uses a 2-hook buckle, non-stretching, short girth which is impossible for me to get tight enough.

Has any one else changed out one of these girths?  What's the best way to do it?  Any suggestions?

thanks,
melanie