Re: [RC] [RC] trailers - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

I can share two experiences that gave me an idea into a horses natural instincts when left on their own devices in a trailer.

#1:  Six horse slant load stock trailer.

I loaded six horses and had a foal (three months old) to load as well.  My ranch manager at the time (we were moving horses from summer pasture to winter pasture) said, "load the six mares, put the baby in front of the mares. The mares will make sure the baby stays secure enough by keeping her across the front of them."  I was, naturally, hesitant.  I thought, what if?  Well I trusted Betty because she was far more experienced than I in trailering horses.  The horses were loaded according to her instructions and in the order she felt was best.  The horses were then trailered an hour.  When we arrived and opened the trailer the baby was exactly where she had been placed.  No bite marks, no signs of trauma, she was calm and could be.   She even waited for her dam to be unloaded before she stepped out of the trailer.  I was not going to put dam and foal out to pasture with the rest of the mares.  So, I put them in an adjacent pasture.  Well, wouldn't you know it.  the mares ran the fence line calling dam and foal.  The foal JUMPED the fence (5 feet tall) with her dam following her.  The mares rallied around Mom and Baby!  Keeping the fence line between them until it was apparent the Baby was not going to run into the line or try to jump back over!

#2:  Two horse bumper pull.

Last year I had to transport a very sick horse to Davis.  My horse trailer was in Nevada (slant load).  I had to borrower my neighbor, Diane's two horse bumper pull.  With the fear of Millie going down in the trailer I removed the center divide, put two bags of shavings in the trailer, and then loaded her without benefit of being tied.  I figured she was no more at risk than whatever was making her ill.  So, away we go two hour drive to Davis.  Arrive at Davis, Millie is facing the back of the trailer, in the center of the trailer, and relaxed as could be.  I have since learned that most horses, loaded without being tethered, will in fact, travel backwards from the head of the trailer.  Millie survived her health ordeal and trailered home a week later the same way!  :)

Happy Trails and Trailering!

D'Arcy