[RC] City Slickers - Jlwarabs

Just thought I would comment on how this ride went as one of the idiots who rode through the storm =)\
    As reported- all start time were delayed an hour and the radar acted like the storms were over, so most everyone shucked there rain gear right before the start.  The first loop the sun was out, I got hot in my sweatshirt.  Second loop the storm hit, thankfully we saw it was coming and had our crew fetch our rain coats!  Torrential downpour, lightning even some small hail for about 45 minutes or so, and  of course that was after massive amounts of rain the night before.  Last 2 loops, cleared up and was pretty much ok again.
    This is my local park - I have NEVER seen it that wet.  Hopefully the park won't prevent this from being held again due to how badly the horses were trashing the fields.  We had what are normally solid wood bridges that cross small ditches that were floating the water level was so high, then there was one spot where you thought you were going to go down into a ditch, and instead stepped onto a bridge that was about 6 inches underwater!  At least 2 new trees came down in the storms right before the ride (I know they weren't there midweek), blocking some narrow trails, just to keep things fun =)
    Of course- the weather also kept all the other people out of the park- we saw far fewer hikers, dogs, bikes, kites, fishers etc... than we normally do
    There were more than 70 starters though, so a lot of us are crazy, and most of the pulls were rider option apparently.  I had a first time Jr rider with me - what an intro to the sport!  But she stuck it out and we all sloshed our way through the day.
    I do know one horse managed to find/create a hole on one of the levees around a lake =(  didn't hear the details though to know if he was ok.  I'm sure it just gave due to being so soaked.
    Anyway - for those wondering if we all survived the lightening - that's my report =)

Jennifer Whittaker
www.MysticRoseArabians.com