RE: [RC] riders set for 120km race - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

I appreciate that it would be big fun to ride in foreign countries with foreign riders, though I don’t see being associated with FEI-level endurance racing as being a requirement for any rider to do that.? I like talking to pet owners in other countries about their animals, too, but don’t need to be a paying member of Puppy Mill Breeders and Cat Cooks of the World to do that, either.

Perhaps I’m being overly cynical or defeatist, but I personally have little hopes that AERC has a snowball’s chance of influencing where international endurance racing is going.? Nor as a ride vet do I really believe that horses can run a 6 ½ hour 100 mile race without either performance-enhancing drugs, or some degree of permanent renal damage, or both.? I don’t know the FEI vets or officials involved, and am not making any direct accusations about anyone.? I would just have to see independently collected and analyzed lab samples to even start to believe it, and I doubt those exist, or ever will.? We don’t even have the beginnings of good data on how a ‘normal’ 100 mile ride truly affects equine kidneys over a single event, or over several seasons, or a lifetime, despite evidence that endurance horses do have to (attempt) to recover from repeated renal insult---yet we want to convince ourselves that we can push that racing envelope that hard and have any vestige of confidence that it can be done with the welfare of the horse in mind?? Please.

It’s not my business to decide where other countries fit into that FEI scenario---I just know I don’t want MY dollars going to support FEI, given its current directions and ownership.? And I also know that eventually, its likely that animal rights groups like PETA will catch wind of this abomination and will make zero distinction between a grass-roots AERC that nevertheless still supports a branch of the sport that allows and encourages 6 ½ hour 100 mile races and pretends it’s all okay and has the welfare of the animal anywhere at all in mind.

JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM