Re: [RC] [RC] hi ties and loose horses - Truman Prevatt

No matter what you use the worst can happen. I've seen horses run between trailers and snag horses tied to trailers. Talk about a potential disaster. I've seen horse break HiTie bars and run across a paved road, fall and get all gnarled up. I've seen horses run over portable pens built with metal panels - that can be a real mess. Nothing is completely save. I saw a situation where the horse tied to the trailer laid down and got one leg under the trailer. Some one noticed it and if the horse would have panicked and gotten up he would have snapped his leg. They sit on his neck to keep him down and someone ran and got a vet to tranqu. the horse so they could move the trailer around and work his leg out. That was down right scary. Of course the rider could not go the next day since his horse would have competed on drugs.

The best way I have found to protect my horses from loose horses is block where my horses are located. Instead of being right in the "middle" I select camping on the edge - even if it means walking farther to the vet check. If there is a fence, I'm up against it. I use the trailer on one side and the truck on another to block access. I try to find a place where there are trees or other natural barriers - anything that would slow horses down or hopefully deflect them away. I also use a charger that is designed for 3 miles of fence and delivers a whack. I also check the output regularly. It is amazing the number of people that assume it is working - when in fact the charge is very wimpy. I also insure a good ground. No ground - it won't matter how much charge on the fence - it won't work. Wimpy ground - wimpy charge. I also have a good tester for my fence and make sure the circuit between the fence and ground is strong.

In over 20 years using an electric I've not had a issue.

The last ride I attended there were three loose horses. One at the start of the ride - saddle slipped under the horses belly. He bucked the rider off, bucked till the girth broke and took off. One at the first check one got away from his rider and took off to find his buddy. Later in the day another saddle under the belly.

Truman

--

"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H.L. Mencken