From: bwalker2@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] riders set for 120km race
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:46:53 -0700
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I disagree.  I think most of us see what the current trend is -- and we don't like it.  However, and this is just my opinion, I can't see a good resolution to the basic issue which is that international endurance is focusing on racing.  They are moving to what is essentially a long-distance flat race, which is pretty much an entirely different sport.  In most other area of equine sports, the FEI level of the sport is an extension of the grass-roots level (jumping, dressage, eventing).   The exception to this is **racing**.  There is no grass-roots racing sport.  That is a sport where only the wealthy can play, and that is what this new trend is moving toward.

As for acting -- do you have any suggestions?  The only one I've heard is for AERC to separate from AERC-I.     People (including me) have criticized these really fast flat races, but I don't see much hope for specifying what the minimum requirements for an endurance course must be....