Re: [RC] # to call for motorcycle activity/folsom - Linda Marins

----- Original Message -----
From: Kathie Ford

Hi all, I did some research on the motorcycle issue at Folsom Park area...

...There were many sightings of them on the trails
Therefore she gave me this phone number in which I am passing
along to you all as riders. This is for anybody riding horses/bikes,
hikers etc if motorcycles are seen. Please call this number immediately
when you see them and they will try to catch them...

A former equestrial trails activist colleague of mine once made an
observation to me.  At the time, it completely shocked and appalled
me.  Time has proven it to be extraordinarily astute, in the truest
"best of times/worst of times" sense.  It went, roughly:

 "You never want the park management to 'solve' the Off Road
 Vehicle (ORV) problem.  Because once they've taken care of them,
 they will come after the horses.  We're next."

Think of the motorcycles and ATVs as a buffer zone.

This does *not* mean that horsemen should support the
Blue Ribbon Coalition.  One of the worst strategic mistakes
horsemen have made in the last 15 years has been to permit the
Blue Ribbon Coalition to claim that they were working for horse
people as well as ORVs (in the south, OHighwayVs) without
strenuous, noisy denial.  All that accomplished was getting
horses lumped in with ORVs in the minds of land managers.
Great strategy:  if the only trails you ever want to be able
to ride on in the future are ATV trails!!!  When push came
to shove and the US Forest Service was revising its
"prohibited activity" regulations, the Blue Ribbon Coalition
threw the horsemen to the dogs.

Think of it as a game theory problem.  Where do you form
your alliances in order to gain the most advantage?  One of
the weirdest developments in trail politics in the last five years
has been the alliance between the hikers (American Hiking Society)
and the mountain bikers (IMBA--International Mountain Biking
Association).  The mountain bikers have succeeded in swapping
places with horses in the minds of hikers on their internal
"revolts me" scale.  What used to be:

  hikers     horses    mountain bikes     OHVs

Also known as the "Muscle-Powered" scale.

Has become in the minds of hikers:

  hikers   mountain bikes   horses   OHVs

Also known as the "Human-Powered" scale.

I.e., horses can be excluded from trails because they are
nothing but the slaves of a bunch of rich, fat, privileged,
*lazy* snobs who can't even bother to power themselves
down the trail like us virtuous hikers and mountain bikers do.

I won't even begin to take to task the horsemen who are dumb
enough to decide that mountain bikes are The Enemy.  Talk about
choosing a guaranteed losing strategy!!!

Linda Marins