Re: [RC] Ride vet kit - was Convention education - Beth Walker

On Mar 3, 2008, at 3:00 PM, Chris Kaznowski wrote:

Something that did give me pause was some aspects of discussions about treatment vets at rides. Dr. Frazier mentioned that he has been at rides where he needed to get IV bags and tubing from RIDERS who had them as emergency supplies. Also, a N CA vet brought up a sad case at a remote ride where a horse in trouble failed to get treatment in time because of mis-communication with a local clinic and then a long drive to a full service vet hospital. The vet committee is working on guidelines for treatment vet policy. Treatment vets are apparently standard in some regions, including NW, but I mostly ride in the West region, which has no such standard. I guess I will continue to light candles to the appropriate deities and choose my rides carefully.

This one would give me pause, too. I had never considered bringing IV bags and tubing to a ride, being under the impression that this was the responsibility of the treatment vet, or the head vet if there was no designated treatment vet. I do understand that the vets have to guess how much they will need, and they may run short if a large number of horses need treatment. So ....

So - question - do these supplies need to be refrigerated? What is the effective life span - can I keep them around for a year or two?

For that matter, what do people consider (vets - please jump in) to be a good "endurance ride" vet kit for the average rider to bring with them to base camp?