[RC] Convention education - Chris Kaznowski

This year's convention theme was education and we got some. I really enjoyed the programs and applaud the convention committee for the work they did and the speakers for preparing good talks. Now I'm a geek, so I go for the seminars, but the shopping was great and it's also fun to catch up with people from far flung regions.

I'll give a short re cap of some of what I learned. Dr. Rob Keene gave a comprehensive overview of current management of osteoarthritis in the horse, from stem cell and growth factor therapies to topical relief of pain (and focused anti inflammatory therapy) using Surpass, a product made by the company that employs him. Right now our herd is healthy, but the information is useful regardless. And I'm tempted to try Surpass on my creaky shoulder.

Dr. Susan Garlinghouse gave 2 talks, one summarizing some published studies of interest to endurance people and one focusing on concrete things to do to improve performance. Her talks are always well prepared and well received. Three things that stand out for me: first, when choosing a supplement, it's important to make sure that it's fresh, otherwise you are adding expensive dust to your horse's ration. This is especially true in the case of substances like biotin, which degrade over time. She presented studies which show that biotin supplementation at 10-50mg levels do increase hoof growth and strength, although improvement may take over 1 year. Second: weight added to the lower leg of the working horse has a disproportionate effect on efficiency of movement. That is, one pound extra around the lower legs has the effect of 18 pounds added on the back. So those splint boots, bell boots, pads, whatever need to have a very good reason to be there. Or I guess one could lose some weight and then go crazy adorning those lower legs. Third: studies show that horses have a preferred speed within a gait which is most energy efficient. Aiming for extravagant extended gaits during distance is not a good idea unless one enjoys re-habbing injuries. There were lots of other goodies and I'm sure that they'll end up in Endurance News at some point.

Dr. Dane Frazier gave two talks, both of which left me eager to better manage hydration before, during and after rides. He is a big fan of electrolyte supplementation to stave off metabolic distress. I think between his and Dr. Garlinghouse's presentation the bottom line is that frequent, small doses, administered in water and food, as well as by syringe may just be the ticket. Dr. Garlinghouse said, think salt shaker, not tablespoons.

I'm grateful to all the panel members (Stagg Newman, Karen Chaton, Christof Schork and John Crandell) for so generously sharing their expertise. I have found it rare in other horse sports that the top talent is so willing to share and so patient with people like me, nowhere near so skilled.

Something that did give me pause was some aspects of discussions about treatment vets at rides. Dr. Frazier mentioned that he has been at rides where he needed to get IV bags and tubing from RIDERS who had them as emergency supplies. Also, a N CA vet brought up a sad case at a remote ride where a horse in trouble failed to get treatment in time because of mis-communication with a local clinic and then a long drive to a full service vet hospital. The vet committee is working on guidelines for treatment vet policy. Treatment vets are apparently standard in some regions, including NW, but I mostly ride in the West region, which has no such standard. I guess I will continue to light candles to the appropriate deities and choose my rides carefully.

All in all, I'm always inspired to ride better and smarter after these conventions. Thanks to the organizers and again to the presenters and to the folks brave enough to ask questions. I am really looking forward to Louisville.