From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Truman Prevatt
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 9:31 AM
To: Steph Teeter
Cc: Sbolinge@xxxxxxx; ride camp
Subject: Re: [RC] FEI ETC

One of the challenges of the endurance season in Florida is the weather. It is easier to deal with the 80 degree days we can get once awhile in the winter - you just clip and use water - than to deal with the weather in the teens we can get every once in awhile. Steph might recall the Osceola ride in 2000 which was sub 20 when we started off.

In the cold everything becomes a major issue. The water buckets freeze. The water is cold and some horses don't tend to drink as well in the cold. You don't have enough on the horse and they can fail to warm up properly and cramp. You have too much and they sweat and get cold from loss of heat. They need more energy to stay warm - particularly if clipped or if wet when it is in the 20's than in the 60's. Normally cold is from a front moving through which is accompanied with Northwest winter winds - which add to the problems.

They can cramp if you don't get the blankets on soon enough. They can sweat and get cold if you get them on too soon. Some horses do fine in cold weather - I've ridden one where it didn't matter. Some just don't do well in cold weather - I've been riding one for 12 years that just hates cold weather. On top of that none of this addresses the impact of the cold on the rider - all the same issues.

Personally I'd rather deal with 80 degrees than 30 degrees any day of the week.

Truman

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics