Re: [RC] re: Clipping (Leonard's comments) - Sisu West Ranch

We have had horses in both Wisconsin and Montana for ~30 years.  Our horses have been out 24/7/365 (except on leapyears--366) with only windbreaks.  This has included record cold (~-35 F, -37 C), wind etc.  The only time a horse was clipped was last spring to take Raj to a Horse Expo.

While we,obviously, ride less often in the winter we do ride and they do get sweaty.  We walk them the last couple of miles, and then turn them out into pasture.  We never have had any problems.

Please note:  After and during endurance competitions we do use blankets as required.  There is a difference between a couple hour training ride and a competition that ends by being tied to a trailer.

Wendy says that she will never clip Raj again, but that has nothing to do with cold etc.  When he came home after being clipped and having some sort of scented conditioner put on, Stevie Ray did not recognize him.  He got the full new horse treatment.  Because it was in the spring before pasture grew, Raj couldn't get away.  The result was he spent a couple of weeks isolated from the herd until the hair grew and the stink wore off.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875