RE: [RC] re: Clipping (Leonard's comments) - Chastain, Shannon L.

I Agree too it was -15 below here yesterday with winds up to 30mph and my horses only have a run in and low laying areas to escape the cold/wind. I did worry about them yesterday morning and checked on them before I went to work to see if they needed blankets, they were toasty warm in their run in. Of course since I woke them up they got some candy in return:-))
Shannon
Missouri

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cindy Collins
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 11:33 AM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] re: Clipping (Leonard's comments)

Hi, Leonard.  I always enjoy your comments and perspective, but I have to disagree with you on the clipping issue.  It is a matter of personal choice, of course, but many very hard working mountain west horses in the USA are never clipped.  Yes, one has to be careful in cooling them out in winter and meticulous in keeping girths clean and checking for galls.  Our temperatures out here often dip below 0 F AND we often have raging winds.  Many of these horses have a wind break or open shelter, but no barn.  I know that this is hard for horse people in more "civilized" places to imagine, but we rarely see the kind of problems you are discussing.

Cindy Collins