[RC] To The Feed experts - sherman

I can’t remember where I read this, but just remembered another recommendation for easy keepers that need to be kept occupied & have access to hay, but not more calories or nutrition…include straw in their diet. It’ll give them something to nibble on instead of the sand or chewing on wood, and not add to their weight problem.

Kathy

I'm not a feed expert, but I have had horses for over 60 years. My gut reaction is: drop the sweet feed all together and feed just hay. I should think that coastal hay free choice would be OK, but I cannot see a reason for feeding an overweight horse sweet feed. Horses were designed by nature to eat grass (or hay), but not extra sweet feed.
Oh, yes, and ride them more. Horses, like people, become overweight if the caloric intake exceeds the caloric output in the form of exercise.

Barbara