Re: [RC] grandpa's - Truman Prevatt

I was raised by my grandparents. My mother had some problems and could not raise a son so at five months my grandparents became my parents. I am sure my grandparents didn't like to have to raise another kid, but you would never have known it. My grandfather instilled into me values that have guided me through my life. My grandfather and I had a bond stronger than any father son bond I've ever seen. He died when I was a senior in college. He had just retired and had bought a race horse to fulfill his dream of owning a race horse. He never got to see him race.

I am sure he is smiling every time he sees me climb in the saddle and answer the call that "trail is open."

Truman

april wrote:
My grandpa gave me quarter once. He tolerated having me around, didn't scold me for catching the barn kittens, and fed my pony when I couldn't. I was his favorite. The quarter he gave me was the only thing any grand kid could ever remember him giving to anybody.
I have never told the others that he also gave me a necklace that was my grandmothers. It was several years after she passed away and it had hung on a peg next to the door for all those years. One day I was kind of , petting it, and he said it was just in the way anyway and gave it to me. It was just a dimestore chain, but I still have it. I was pretty old before I realized he must have missed her to have left it there for so long.
april
byhalia

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas