Re: [RC] freezing bottles - Sisu West Ranch

"...i was told it made a chemical change in the plastic bottle ..."

That is complete BS.  I was a chemist for 35 years, much of that time I spent extruding plastics into fibers.  These were the same plastics used for food containers.  Polyethylene, polypropylene, and Polyethyleneterapthalate (PET) are the most common plastics used for food contact.  None of them are changed at all by freezing.  They do not have any additives (plasticizers) like vinyl to leach out either hot or cold.  Think of all the frozen food you eat that was packaged in plastic (polyethylene) bags,  Think of all the Tupper Ware (polypropylene) in our nations freezers.

The only way to degrade these plastics would be to heat them well above their melting point.  The mess and smoke would be your hint to throw them away.  (the polypropylene and polyethylene degradation products would most likely not hurt you either.  I'm not so sure about PET, but I doubt any really big problem)

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875