Re: [RC] bad dogs & goat protection--Donkeys are fine - Karla Watson

It is true that you can't throw a donkey in with goats. I should of elaborated but I kept it short. (sorry) I place donkeys with people who want them for protection but its usually a donkey that has been raised with goats or the animal they are protecting. Dogs are wonderful at protecting, yes, but many farmers don't want to daily feed/check on the dog especially when the herds are in more remote areas. Farmers are using donkeys and raising them with livestock so that when they send them to more remote pasture areas, the donkey will eat/drink/sleep with the herd. Most of the donkeys that kill goats, smaller animals and even horses are jacks (unneutered males) who do get extremely hormonal and territorial. (I wish everyone would geld their donkeys but they don't.) Usually the farmers use female donkeys since they are very protective but are not prone to attack other animals. The geldings are very good but aren't as "serious" about protection like the mares and tend to play with the goats, etc. There are MANY exceptions and variables with that statement. Again, I should of gotten very specific.....I forget that ridecamp needs to have things spelled out or there is a debate....;-) Google search "guard donkeys" and you will get some very useful information and read the correct process, which is very easy. Donkeys are often getting a bad wrap and they don't deserve it. They are very loving, very hardy and extremely smart pets.
--------Karla Watson/donkey rescuer & donkey lover