[RC] bad dogs & goat protection - Karla Watson

the following advice on dealing with dogs: Shoot, shovel and shut up.>>>

I have to agree! This Fall a neighbor's dog got into my pasture late at night and brutally attacked one of my miniature donkeys. Before my other donkeys could grab it and kill it, my alpha horse chased it out. This dog ripped open both sides of upper inside thighs of this little donkey and threw him on the ground and severely broke his hip. (He was a rescue donkey that already had physical problems so he could not defend himself.) Animal control was called and got involved and I really wished I had taken manners into my own hands. Because the donkey was NOT killed, they could not put down the dog. The owners got a lecture, a big fine, had to pay my vet bills and they got a slap on the wrist. The owners felt it was a one time event and he was just being "naughty." They moved a few months later (thank god) and took that nasty dog with them....into the city....where they thought the dog would be ok. I'm sure little kids are his next victims....the system is not very good. By the way, donkeys are good predator control but this dog was FAST, black colored so hard to see him at night and insane in his attack. He was being kicked and bitten by my other donkeys and an alpha horse and it hardly affected him. Animal control says this dog is very dangerous but law would not let them put him down.
Next time I will....shoot, shovel and shut up!

Those of you with goats may consider getting a "standard" sized donkey for protection. Put one in with your herd. They are easy to own, very loveable, eat very little and are very good at keeping dogs OUT. The mini donkeys (like I have) are pretty docile and not as aggressive as the standard sized donkeys. The BLM donkeys are really good predator control as they grew up in the wild and had to defend themselves. Donkeys can't run far so they stand and fight. They are good fighters. They will even go after mountain lions and chase bears out. Farmers are using them quite a bit now for protecting livestock.
--------------Karla Watson/Portland, Oregon/donkey rescue