Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 2:14 PM
Subject: [RC] bad dogs & goat protection
Those of you with goats may consider getting a "standard" sized donkey for protection. Put one in with your herd. They are easy to own, very loveable, eat very little and are very good at keeping dogs OUT. The mini donkeys (like I have) are pretty docile and not as aggressive as the standard sized donkeys. The BLM donkeys are really good predator control as they grew up in the wild and had to defend themselves. Donkeys can't run far so they stand and fight. They are good fighters. They will even go after mountain lions and chase bears out. Farmers are using them quite a bit now for protecting livestock.
--------------Karla Watson/Portland, Oregon/donkey rescue