Re: [RC] Re:[RC] From Cat to dogs charging - Sisu West Ranch

Pit bulls are sometimes the exception to the rule. They were carefully bred to be insane, by canine standards. Canines evolved in a pack structure where fights and usually mock fights settled the pack order. To prevent to many serious injuries, the evolved behavior included a submissive posture that means "You beat me, you are my superior". When people wanted to do the sick "sport" of dog fighting, they bred the submissive out of them so they would fight to the death. They called it being "game". The result is that you have crazy dogs who don't have enough sense to know when they are beaten- very dangerous both to them and things around them. Note that wolves, even when a pack, don't chase large herbivores unless there is good reason (extremely hungry, baby prey, easy picking because of deep snow etc.)

By the way, Florida is a CCW state. It may be prudent to get one. Personally, if unhorsed either voluntarily or involuntarily I would not want to confront an insane Pit Bull with a knife. I would probably win, but would most likely be severely injured. I suspect that it would take several minutes for a fatal knife wound to have any effect on them.

Another practical note: If your horse has not been trained, you will only have one shot if mounted. Either train the horse (cowboy mounted shooting folk can give good tips), or assume the shot will be followed by a bolt by the horse.

Ed

PS. Yes, I do carry in all circumstances where legal.

PPS. When fighting for herd dominance, the submissive action in horses is to run away. This works fine, until people came along and confined the horses to small areas. Sometimes there is not enough room for the looser to run far enough away. This is the reason for most severe injuries in domestic herds. In a flock of pigeons, the submissive gesture is flying away. A number of years ago experiments were done that proved this. Stuffed pigeons were introduced. They could not fly, and were completely torn apart. If I remember correctly, the experiment also included some real birds with clipped wings. They also were severely injured.

Ed & Wendy Hauser 2994 Mittower Road Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch(at)sisuwest(dot)us