[RC] now horse fighting... - Jennifer Adam

From: "Sisu West Ranch" <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
PPS. When fighting for herd dominance, the submissive action in horses is to run away. This works fine, until people came along and confined the horses to small areas. Sometimes there is not enough room for the looser to run far enough away. This is the reason for most severe injuries in domestic herds.

I think problems with horses injuring each other in fights also occur when they have not been properly socialized in a herd setting. A neighbor tried to board her gelding with my horses and I finally made her take him away because he kept picking fights with my horses and just couldn't seem to understand when enough was enough. My horses tried to warn him off, but when he wouldn't back down they began biting and kicking him every time he came up to them. I kept hoping they could work it out, but her gelding couldn't seem to read the other horses' warnings. My mustangs finally lost patience and decided to teach him a lesson in horse manners... I asked her to remove him for his own sake. Then I found out that he had been raised all by himself and had very little interaction *of any kind* with any people or other animals. She's got him all by himself again in a little pen and a 12X12 stall. He's a surly, spoiled, unpredictable, sour horse. It's sad, but I really think he can't get along with other horses because he never learned how.

Jen

Rates near 39yr lows! $430K Loan for $1,399/mo - Paying Too Much? Calculate new payment http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18226&moid=7581