RE: [RC] Long term use of Adequan and/or joint injections ...? - Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk

Steelsidedown says

Hi Jen, well I don't think one wants to go injecting joints without really good cause,  I have always been under the impression that one can't inject a joint more than 3x over the lifetime of a horse & there is a risk every time it is done. My vet  suggested hyaluronic acid ( Adequan) by intravenous injection, she is coming in two weeks to do my horse, honestly it is expensive and I am only planning on doing it this year as we are going to be doing a lot of rides (at   least that is the plan :-) ) I don't know how effective the daily powder stuff is that is on the market, I plan on asking my vet when she comes.
Chrystal :-)

I have asked several people who do a lot of 100’s and they have told me that they use Adequan and or Legend 2 days before a ride.  Some use powder supplements regularly and others don’t.  I know that none of them gave it inter- joint (IJ).  Legend can be given IV and I thought that Adequan was IM.  Given the chemicals that are in the medicines I do not think that any long term harm will be caused to the joints if used as directed.  I do worry a little about the other organs and what effect it may have on them filtering those chemicals from the blood stream.  The treatments are expensive, but given all the other things that I spend money on for a horse and a ride it is not that big of a deal.  We give our own IV and IM shots so it is just the cost of the Meds not a vet call as well.

Adam

Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk

584 Romie Howard Rd.

Yoncalla OR 97499