Re: [RC] Long term use of Adequan and/or joint injections ...? - Chrystal Woodhouse

Hi Jen, well I don't think one wants to go injecting joints without really good cause,  I have always been under the impression that one can't inject a joint more than 3x over the lifetime of a horse & there is a risk every time it is done. My vet  suggested hyaluronic acid ( Adequan) by intravenous injection, she is coming in two weeks to do my horse, honestly it is expensive and I am only planning on doing it this year as we are going to be doing a lot of rides (at   least that is the plan :-) ) I don't know how effective the daily powder stuff is that is on the market, I plan on asking my vet when she comes.
Chrystal :-)

"steelsidedown" <Steelsidedown@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

02/20/2007 01:12 PM

Please respond to
"steelsidedown" <Steelsidedown@xxxxxxx>

"Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[RC]   Long term use of Adequan and/or joint injections ...?

I apologize, as this is spurred on by another list.

The current conversation pretains to damage caused by use of Adequan, both IM and diectly in joint.  As in, joints actually getting worse over time from the use of this product/method.

I have only heard positive things about the use of this product/method...

Can anyone elaborate? (for or against)

I haven't been able to find any research online.

Jen