[RC] glucosamine for rider - sherman

Dawn, I started taking glucosamine & chondroitin about 7 years ago when my shoulder was hurting so badly that surgery was the next step. Also, the arthritis had begun at the base of my thumbs making it difficult to open sliding doors, and one big toe joint hurt so bad I couldn’t walk without limping. After about 6 weeks the pain subsided and after 6 mos I was pain free. Later I developed tendonitis in my elbow (from throwing hay over the fence) and MSM was recommended. A month later, no more tendonitis pain. The thing to remember is that it doesn’t work for everyone, and it doesn’t work on all types of arthritis, even if it’s going to work it takes a few months, so many people give up too soon, AND not every formula works the same, so if one companies formulation isn’t working after 3 or 4 months, try another company’s product.

I have found the cheapest Costco or Trader Joe’s brand to be effective for me, and affordable Just make sure it is the recommended amounts of each product and take as much as you’re supposed to, don’t give up too soon. I take my MSM separately, the pills are very big and I don’t always need it, but it probably would be beneficial to take it all the time and MSM is very inexpensive. As far as taking products that are packaged for animals, I know many people do and while the purity isn’t guaranteed to human standards, I haven’t heard of anyone dying from it yet. Human food is not all that pure either, and think about all the contaminants we get into our body when we’re out on the trail or at ridecamp eating!

 I wonder though, even if taking glucosamine & chondroitin doesn’t stop the pain for everyone, if it were taken BEFORE the pain started, would it benefit everyone and help the joints stay healthy?

Kathy

I would like to hear any of you that are on it for yourself?  I have heard that it works?  I've also heard that it must be taken in conjunction with Condroiten and MSM to work at all?  Is there a way to take a horse product and save a ton of money?  :)  Also, on the (expensive) bottle of pills for people it doesn't say to double up for the first month...like all the animal ones do.  So, is it not necessary to double up for the first month for our horses/dogs?

Thank you!

Dawn